Firth of Clyde Islands
Green and undulating Great Cumbrae is home to the only town at Millport, elegantly lining Millport Bay. Here the tiny but beautiful Cathedral of the Isles, regarded as Britain’s smallest cathedral, seats only 100 worshippers. Rough and rocky Little Cumbrae, held by the Hunters and later by the Montgomeries, was maintained as a royal hunting forest. Its surviving ruins include the castle demolished by Oliver Cromwell’s army in 1650 and a small chapel dedicated to St Beya.